Thursday, January 26, 2012

Idiom (1)


Thanks to Fatimah Afifah who posted it in her own blog. If you'll face the TOEFL exam, you must know it. Who knows, one of these Idiom is the question! 
So, let's we learn 'bout IDIOM!~



When Fifah saw @MencobaBelajar's tweets, they were tweeting about many idioms. Her father had bought fifah Idiom's book when Fifah was in Elementary school. But she didn't understand. Now, She's understand. She thinks, Idioms are connotations of words (the parables) that so unique! So Fifah wants to share some idioms that she knew. :)
  • Sitting here like a lemon : menunggu dengan sabar. "I'm tired of sitting here like a lemon."
  • I've got a frog in my throat : sakit tenggorokan.
  • It's raining cats and dogs : hujan lebat.
  • Donkey's years : waktu yang sangat lama. "I haven't seen her in donkey's years!"
  • Butterfly in my stomach : nervous/excited"I always get butterflies in my stomach before my exams."
  • In the same boat : "Kita senasib." (untuk keadaan yang tidak menyenangkan) *berbicara pada teman yang remed* "Don't worry, we're in the same boat."
  • Keep your chin up : optimis/tetap senang dalam kondisi sulit. "It's important to keep your chin."
  • Hit the books : belajar dengan keras. "Don't be afraid of your tests, just hit the books."
  • Time flies : waktu berlalu cepat. "I can't believe it's already March. How time flies!"
  • A far cry : sangat berbeda dari. "This spaghetti is a far cry from the original Italian style."
  • Around the clock : seharian. "We'll have to work around the clock to get it finished on time."
  • Down in the dumps : depresi/sedih. "Annie has been down in the dumps since she failed the test."
  • Be a pain in the neck : to be very annoying. "Just so you know, you're a real pain in the neck."
  • Through thick and thin : melewati semua masa-masa/kondisi sulit. "John, thank you for always being there for me through thick and thin."
  • Kick the bucket : meninggal. "My grandpa just kicked the bucket, Jim."
  • Hold one's horses : patient/hold on. "Can you hold your horses a little bit longer?"
  • Out of the blue : tiba-tiba, tidak dikira. "Her letter came out of the blue this morning."
  • Down the road : di masa depan. "Somewhere down the road, we'll meet again."
  • Get one's ducks in a row : merapikan/mengorganisir. "Look at the mess you've made. You better get your ducks in a row."
  • Hit the hay : (mau/akan tidur). "Well, I guess it's the time to hit the hay."
  • Water under the bridge : sesuatu yang terjadi di masa lalu, tapi sekarang sudah tidak penting. "You were really mean to me, but that's water under the bridge."
  • Duck soup : hal yang mudah. "She said trigonometry is such a duck soup."
  • Under the weather : agak sakit. "He said he won't came-- he's under the weather, I guess."
  • Down the drain : terbuang/sia-sia. "You should quit buying lottery tickets. Its just money down the drain."
  • Icing on the cake : ketika kamu mendapatkan kesenangan yang berlipat, mungkin kebalikan "sudah jatuh, tertimpa tangga". "It's raining and I have a good book I haven't read yet, what an icing on the cake!" 
  • Put yourself in my shoes : kurang lebih kayak "coba bayangkan kalau kamu jadi aku".
  • An average Joe : manusia normal. "I'm not rich or famous; I'm just an average Joe."
  • Can't stomach : nggak bisa toleransi. "I can't stomach anymore of this sales pitch."
(source: @MencobaBelajar and some sources)

Ok, Fifah can only write up here. Next time, Fifah'll to continue again. Fifah's english languages not too good, but she'll keep to try to learn it. English and others languages are so interesting to learned! ;) so you can!

Please visit Fifah's blog to^^

Thanks to: Fatimah Afifah. :-)

Thanks for reading
and
Spending your time here

Sincerely,

Yoona's twin :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment